For the first time since the Second World War, the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada infantry regiment has marched out of the double doors of the historic Burrard Street armoury.
The until won't return until a major renovation of the building, including seismic upgrading, is complete three years from now.
The Seaforth will temporarily move to Jericho Garrison while the work is being completed. It's the first time the armoury has been closed since it opened in 1936.
The Sept. 9 March Out included more than 100 soldiers dressed in combat uniforms as well as the Regimental Colours, regimental pipe and drums and the band of 15th Field Regiment. The troops were escorted by armoured reconnaissance vehicles of the British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) and the Vancouver Police Department Mounted Squad. The parade passed under a huge Canadian flag held in place by two Vancouver Fire and Rescue Service ladder trucks as the regiment approached Jericho Garrison in honour of the regiment's 102 years of service to Canada.
The regiment departed through the same double doors of the armoury soldiers passed through when they left Vancouver for the Second World War, Dec. 15, 1939. In 1939, the regiment marched to the sounds of the pipes and drums playing "Scotland the Brave," which was played again as the soldiers left the armoury Sept. 9.