Vancouver has a lot to offer when it comes to boutiques carrying unique items. Although department stores can be a quick and cost efficient way to shop, it takes little time to find something in boutiques. Gastown is one of the best areas in Vancouver to shop boutiques that range from clothing to home décor.
The holiday season is upon us and finding a personal gift can often be a challenging task. I took a stroll through Gastown and made a day of it with a friend and found boutiques that are perfect for one of a kind finds.
1. Block (350 West Cordova St.): This boutique features great men’s bags and shoes. My favourite piece is the navy blue envelope bag with tan leather trim. They also carry great women’s clothing and accessories. A must have is the neutral A-line dress with a sheen which is great for holiday parties paired with a belt and shrunken jacket.
2. Old Faithful Shop (320 West Cordova St.): This store is truly unique in bringing in a modern feel to classic pieces for the house and home. They have also recently been featured in GQ magazine’s gift guide. Their Camano coffee mill is a definite item to check out. A good agenda can be difficult to source out but Old Faithful has the perfect soft leather agenda that will be both functional and stylish. Most of their items are also hand made.
3. Secret Location (1 Water St.): This is one of my favourite boutiques in Gastown for fashion lovers. Secret location carries a wide selection of designer clothing, books and home décor. I recently purchased a Table Topics conversation starter card deck that is perfect for when company comes over. It’s visually pleasing and comes in different themes. I also love their limited edition Diana F. gold camera ($109). If you’re really into making a statement, be sure to check out the Mawi London jewelry collection.
4. Oak and Fort (32 Water St.): If you’re looking for a great pea coat that is clean and classic, Oak and Fort is the place to be. I love the high collar on their coat, which adds a functional yet chic quality to the overall appearance. I also love the incorporation of lace into luxury fabrics such as chiffon and silk in some of their pieces. I was most impressed by their long pleated leather skirt, which was a head turner.
5. Ishara (38 Water St.): This is the perfect boutique for your holiday dress needs. My favourite was the gold Michael Kors sequin dress.
6. RowanSky (334 West Cordova St.): I love sequins and was happy to find sequin loafers at RowanSky. They also carry a great selection of jewelry that is both unique and makes a statement.
7. Deluxe Junk Co. (310 West Cordova St.): For all you vintage shoppers out there this shop is a must stop on your stroll around Gastown. I even stopped by the store one day and spotted a vintage Christian Dior purse.
Happy shopping and check out the gallery for some of my favourite items from shops in Gastown.
Amy Yew is a contributing writer at Vancouver Courier. Tell us what you think and submit any questions you have to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also tweet your thoughts on Twitter @AmyYew.