Three more Burnaby schools hit by COVID-19 exposures

Three more sets of Burnaby parents got letters over the weekend alerting them to recent COVID-19 exposures at their kids’ schools.

The letters were sent out Sunday.

Parents at Burnaby North Secondary were told someone infected with the virus was at the school on Oct. 8 and 9.

Westridge Elementary parents were alerted to an exposure on Oct. 9, and Alpha Secondary parents were notified of the school’s second exposure since school started last month.

The most recent incident at Alpha saw someone with COVID-19 attend the school on Oct. 13 and 14.

In all cases, the Fraser Health Authority sent out early notification notices telling parents that public health officials had initiated contact tracing to identify any staff or students who needed to self-isolate or self-monitor for symptoms.

Letters from school principals said the infected individuals were self-isolating at home but that no more information would be provided for privacy reasons.

The letters urged parents to continue daily health checks with their kids before sending them to school.

Fraser Health told parents that students should keep coming to school during contract tracing.

Burnaby school board chair Gary Wong urged everyone in the community to continue washing their hands, wearing a mask when required and staying home when they are sick.

"I want to, again, emphasize the importance of caring for and protecting each other," he told the NOW in an emailed statement.

School exposures are listed at the Fraser Health school exposures webpage here.

Follow Cornelia Naylor on Twitter @CorNaylor
Email cnaylor@burnabynow.com

© Burnaby Now

Popular Burnaby Now