Victoria-Fraserview stretches up from the Fraser River to East 41st Avenue and is bordered by Knight Street to the west and the Fraserview Golf Course on Vivian Drive to the east. The region takes the Fraserview part of its name from the golf course and the first part of its name from the city of Victoria — and so indirectly from the former queen.
An “average” Victoria-Fraserview resident is 43 years old, speaks English as a second language — more than likely speaks Mandarin, Cantonese or Punjabi as a first language—is in a committed relationship and has one child.
For the 30,000 residents who call Victoria-Fraserview home, there is an eclectic mix of stores and mom-and-pop restaurants along Victoria Drive to choose from.
Historically, the Musqueam First Nations were the first to settle at the southern end of what is now Victoria Drive, in a village on the banks of the Fraser River. Their village was the start for a number of trails that led to settlements further east.
The first European settlers arrived in the 1860s to a vast forested area divided by trails. In 1891, Victoria-Fraserview became part of the municipality of South Vancouver.
In the early 20th century, the population continued to grow with farmers taking advantage of the arable land along the river and in 1929, the community became part of the City of Vancouver.
Early landowners lent their names to Vivian Drive, named after William Thomas Vivian, and Knight Street, named for Robert Knight.
After the Second World War, hundreds of houses were built in the area to accommodate returning soldiers. During the 1950s, Victoria-Fraserview was known as “Diaper Town” due to its large population of young families.
In the 1980s, the area’s industry began to be replaced by residential development. That trend continues today along the shores of the Fraser with the building of new townhomes and apartments.