1. Vancouver singer-songwriter Veda Hille returns with her 20th (!) album Love Waves, which was written in Berlin, recorded in East Van with John Collins of the New Pornographers and billed as “kind of a love letter to Bowie and Eno, but with a healthy dose of Rilke and the Carpenters thrown in.” Hear for yourself when Hille plays the York Theatre, May 28, accompanied by a full band and guests Ida Nilsen, Nick Krgovich and cast members from the East Van Panto and the musical Onegin. Tickets at thecultch.com.
2. Scott Aukerman brings his podcast Comedy Bang! Bang! to the Vogue Theatre, May 26, for a live taping with guests Paul F. Tompkins, Lauren Lapkus and Neil Campbell. Tickets at ticketfly.com.
3. Kids, kids and more damn kids take over Granville Island for the 39th annual Children’s Festival, May 30 to June 5. This year’s edition features 10 professional performing artists from Mexico to the Netherlands, including Juno Award nominee Splash n’ Boots. Details at childrensfestival.ca.
4. SHIFT Theatre presents its ninth annual 1-Act Festival May 26 to 28 at the Firehall Arts Centre. This year’s series of one act plays focuses on female-created work, including Mily Mumford’s Fall-Out Picnic. Details at shifttheatre.ca.
5. Former Vancouverite Mac Demarco brings his increasingly yacht rock-ish charms to Malkin Bowl May 27 for a warm evening of maximum tuneage. James Ferraro opens. Tickets at Red Cat, Zulu Records and ticketweb.ca.