The final days of 2018 are coming to an end, and you might be wondering what to do to ring in the new year in Vancouver.
Of course, there are plenty of fun parties to attend around the city, such as the Telus World of Science party or the Concord’s New Year’s Eve party, among many others. With that in mind, it can be fun to do something a little bit less expected for some end of the year fun.
The event is called the NYE SkyTrain Party, and, as you may have guessed, it takes place on the SkyTrain. It doesn’t happen at midnight, however – the event runs between 7:30 pm and 9:30 pm. So, if you want to see the fireworks downtown at midnight, or dance at a club, you may still pencil that in afterward.
And while you might think most NYE parties involve champagne, this one takes a different approach. Rather than consuming alcohol, this transit party-goers favour a “more natural high.”
What exactly does that mean?
The organizers list a set of values for their event-going fun:
- Active Engagement: We are in the here and now.
- Natural Euphoria: We get high off each other, our shared experience, and the music
- Community: Everyone is a host, and it’s a collective effort to have the best night of our lives.
- Respect: We behave with an awareness of others and their boundaries.
- Personal Growth: We grow together by partying together.
- Environmental and Social Responsibility: We are grateful to party here.
The event is hosted by a group called Party4Health. Led by Jacques Martiquet, the group says that they represent the future of partying, and are determined to create a more engaging, inclusive, and healthy party culture.
And, don’t forget, transit is free across all of Metro Vancouver on New Year’s Eve. As such, you won’t pay a nickel for this party.
The 3rd Annual NYE Skytrain Party
When: December 31, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Where: Waterfront Canada Line SkyTrain Station