The full schedule of the Meng Wanzhou extradition case appears to have been agreed upon by BC Supreme Court, Crown counsel and defence lawyers for the Huawei Technologies executive.
The process will resume on Aug. 17 to discuss evidence privilege – the inclusion and exclusion of information from Canadian and U.S. authorities for consideration in the case – while the abuse-of-process debate will begin on Feb. 16, 2021.
Associate chief justice Heather Holmes said previously that she would like to either move abuse-of-process discussions before the privileged information discussion, or move part of the abuse-of-process talks involving the legitimacy of evidence to be part of the privileged information talks. Holmes also requested for a schedule that would wrap up the case before May 2021.
During Tuesday's case management hearing, Holmes said these issues have been addressed by the latest schedule proposed by the Crown and defence lawyers.
She added that the schedule also includes a list of recommended dates for releasing her decisions on each topic, with the last date on that list being the suggested decision date of March 29, 2021 (for abuse-of-process).
Holmes did note, however, that the court may have problems hitting that date for the final decision due to it being a mere three weeks after the three-week court process (starting Feb. 16) is scheduled to conclude.