A wooden structure originally erected at the corner of Hamilton and Pender streets 35 years earlier to help celebrate a visit from the visiting Duke and Duchess of Connaught is knocked down from its new home in Stanley Park after having become a safety hazard.
Nicknamed “the Bowie Arch” after its designer, Captain G.P. Bowie, who died in action during the First World War, it was modelled on the Parthenon and used entire trees for the columns and gable. The arch was later shipped by barge to its new location near Brockton Point that was once the location of a First Nations village known as Xwayxway.
A second, simpler timber-and-stump arch to replace it was built in 1952.