They may be creepy, crawly, and downright disgusting, but they are extremely common in Vancouver.
This year, Vancouver ranked third on Orkin's annual list of top bed bug cities in Canada. The pest control company determines the ranking based on the number of commercial and residential bed bug treatments carried out in each city.
Last year, Vancouver placed fourth on the annual ranking. In other words, Vancouver is slowly 'crawling' up the charts. With this in mind, Orkin notes that this past year saw significant bed bug sightings across the country, from infestations in federal buildings to private homes.
Similar to the past three years, larger cities and travel centres claimed the top spots. Toronto came in first, followed by Winnipeg in second.
Vancouver and St. John's placed third and fourth, respectively; Ottawa followed in fifth.
This year's top 10 bed bug cities are:
- St. John's
Orkin is also advising residents that the pesky critters may find themselves new homes over the winter season. Unfortunately, bed bugs are adept hitchhikers, and they can thrive in either clean or dirty homes.
Since bed bugs are talented home-hoppers, early detection is the best way to reduce the chances of an infestation.
What to look for:
- Tiny dark coloured stains, cast skins or live bed bugs.
Where to look:
- Mattress tags and seams, under seat cushions, behind headboards, creases of drawers, buckling wallpaper or carpet.
- Dry potentially infested bed linens or clothing on the highest heat setting possible.
- Inspect all second-hand furniture before bringing it into your home.
- Before returning home after travel, examine your bags, inspect your clothing and other items for bed bugs.
Find the full list of bed bug cities here.
Read the original article here.