Vancouver restaurant worker tests positive for COVID-19

New cases connected to Pacific Dental Conference at convention centre

Vancouver Coastal Health issued a warning Monday to people who visited a downtown restaurant over three days in March after an employee tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus.

The employee worked March 10, 11 and 13 between 10:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. at the Showcase Restaurant and Bar, which is located inside the Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown hotel at 1122 West Hastings St.

article continues below

“The person had mild, non-respiratory symptoms of COVID-19 during this time,” the health authority said in a news release.

“Public health officials have completed a risk assessment and concluded that the risk to people at the restaurant at the time was low, but we are making this notification out of an abundance of caution.”

Health officials said any possible exposures were restricted to the restaurant over the three days in March. There was no risk to anyone outside of those dates, or to anyone else who may have visited any other part of the hotel, the release said.

The employee is now self-isolated and recovering at home. The case is linked to travel and other known cases previously announced by health officials, who assured “there is no ongoing risk to the community, or at the Showcase Restaurant and Bar.”

The health authority advised people who attended the restaurant on the days in question to monitor themselves for symptoms of the virus for 14 days. Symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat and a headache.

“As long as people who visited the restaurant at those times remain healthy and do not develop symptoms, there is no need to self-isolate and they should continue with their usual daily activities,” the health authority said.

“If anyone experiences symptoms, they should self-isolate at home and seek medical care if respiratory symptoms worsen.”

Meanwhile, the health authority is asking people who attended or worked at the Pacific Dental Conference 2020 at the Vancouver Convention Centre on March 5, 6 and 7 to self-isolate until March 22.

Vancouver Coastal Health notified the public March 12 of one case connected to the conference. On Monday, the health authority announced new cases related to the conference.

The health authority’s notifications came the same day that Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry issued an order prohibiting all public gatherings of more than 50 people. Mayor Kennedy Stewart urged people Monday to order take-out food, or online to help reduce the transmission of the virus.

“I know tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day, but if you don’t think you can keep one metre or more away from others in your favourite bar, don’t go,” the mayor told reporters at city hall.

“If you don’t think you can keep one metre or more away from others in your favourite restaurant, don’t go.”

As of Monday, 103 people in B.C. had tested for COVID-19, with four deaths connected to the virus.

mhowell@vancourier.com

@Howellings


 

Read Related Topics

Comments

NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Vancouver Courier welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Popular Vancouver Courier

Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter!
Find the Vancouver Courier Newspaper