Vancouver shuttle bus bursts into flames after mechanical malfunction

Seven people escaped the bus before it caught fire

Vancouver fire fighters were called to extinguish a blaze late Friday night after a shuttle bus went up in flames.

The bus driver was heading north on Cambie Street when he noticed smoke coming from the dashboard of the bus and pulled over at 12th Avenue, near West Broadway.

article continues below

The driver and six passengers safely made it out of the bus before flames overtook the vehicle.

Assistant Chief Kevin Wilson told the Courier investigators had ruled the fire was sparked by a mechanical malfunction.

“The Vancouver Fire Department considers it a mechanical malfunction because the bus was being driven and the fire occurred in the engine compartment,” he explained.

Wilson said no further information would be released.


Read Related Topics


NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Vancouver Courier welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Popular Vancouver Courier

Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter!
Find the Vancouver Courier Newspaper