Fifty-four houses have been evacuated as a slow-moving landslide pushes into a small community in northeastern British Columbia.
Peace River Regional District's emergency operations centre director Deborah Jones-Middleton says she does not know for how long the people will be out of their homes in Old Fort, a subdivision of Fort St. John.
Authorities were alerted to the landslide on September 30 at 7:13 a.m.
A video posted to Facebook, by Randy Ballantyne, shows the extent of the damage. The landlside has caused huge cracks in the road and some parts have completely caved in.
Jones-Middleton says one house has been compromised although she doesn't know the extent of the damage.
In a statement posted to its website, the district says there is "immediate danger to life safety" in Old Fort.
The statement says access routes will be manned and people will not be able to go back once they leave, and those who choose to stay remain at their own risk.
On Tuesday PRRD posted that all temporary entry permits had been suspended as of 8:50 am.
"This is due to the instability of the landslide in order to ensure public safety," an Information Officer wrote on the PRRD Facebook page.
"This decision has been made based on information provided to the Emergency Operations Centre by the Geotechnical Engineer.
"PRRD Staff will continue to monitor the situation and provide information to the public as it becomes available."