Buildup around Oakridge Centre continues with proposal for 18-storey rental tower

Rezoning application envisions building that houses 124 rental units

The buildup in the area surrounding around Oakridge Centre continues with a proposal for an 18-storey market rental building with a four-storey podium at 441 to 475 West 42nd Avenue.

The site, which is currently home to three single-family houses, is just off Cambie Street and within the Oakridge Municipal Town Centre cited in the Cambie Corridor Plan.

article continues below

The Oakridge MTC covers the area around Cambie Street and West 41st Avenue and the City of Vancouver’s goals for it include “increasing height and density to provide social and rental housing opportunities, increasing job space, delivering amenities and establishing buildings that reflect the importance of this transit-oriented, regionally significant hub.”

Oakridge Municipal Town Centre. Rendering City of Vancouver
Oakridge Municipal Town Centre. Rendering City of Vancouver

Urban Solutions Architecture filed the rezoning application for the West 42nd Avenue project on behalf of its client GEC. The proposal features 124 rental units, 20 per cent of which would be below market rental housing as required under the Cambie corridor phase three plan.

Most of the units are proposed to be two to four-bedrooms.

The building would also include a rooftop indoor/outdoor amenity space and a children’s play area above the podium, a floor space ratio of 6.67, 39 parking stalls, four car-share spaces and 291 bicycle parking spaces.

“Parking and car‐share spaces are based on 40 per cent for provision of rental plus 20 per cent based on transit accessibility reductions for a total 60 per cent reduction,” the application states.

Several other building projects are also in the works in the area, including ones at 357 to 475 West 41st Avenue (a 10-storey mixed-use rental building) and 325 to 343 West 41st Avenue (a 22-storey and a 14-storey mixed-use building), as well as two highrises for a site across from Oakridge mall.

Oakridge Centre is also being redeveloped into what its developers have called "a mini-city."

An open house for Urban Solutions Architecture and GEC’s rezoning application runs from 5 to 7:30 p.m. at the Jewish Community Centre, Nov. 20.

IMAGES

View looking northwest. Rendering Urban Solutions Architecture
View looking northwest. Rendering Urban Solutions Architecture

 

View from 42nd Avenue looking north. Rendering Urban Solutions Architecture
View from 42nd Avenue looking north. Rendering Urban Solutions Architecture

 

View Looking Northwest. Rendering Urban Solutions Architecture
View Looking Northwest. Rendering Urban Solutions Architecture

 

View from above. Rendering Urban Solutions Architecture
View from above. Rendering Urban Solutions Architecture

 

Existing site context.
Existing site context.

 

Future site context.
Future site context.

noconnor@vancourier.com

@naoibh

Read Related Topics

Comments

NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Vancouver Courier welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Popular Real Estate

Popular Vancouver Courier