With so many homecare businesses to choose from in the Vancouver area, it can be challenging to pick the one that’s right for you. The following tips from Margot Ware, Director and Owner of Shylo Home Healthcare, will help you make the right choice.
1. Better Business Bureau Rating – For any business that deals in healthcare and other home services, your first visit should be to the BBB. While you’re at it, check out the rating criteria to see what it takes to achieve the A+ Rating that Shylo boasts.
2. Transparency–Make sure you get a thorough rundown of costs and billing before enlisting a homecare business. If you’re having difficulty getting the information you need, look elsewhere. You should be able to find out whatever you need to know without having to wonder if you’re getting the whole story.
3. Staff Credentials & Background Check– Don’t take chances with the well-being of your loved ones or with their home. Each member of a homecare company’s staff should be thoroughly screened before being hired. Never be afraid to ask for proof of credentials.
4. Liability & WCB Insurance– This detail is often overlooked, but it’s equally as important. “Do not leave yourself open to risk,” warns Ware. “Uninsured private caregivers can hold a client responsible for a work-related injury. While Shylo covers all their caregivers, some franchise agencies and most private caregivers do not adequately cover their employees.”
5. Community Involvement– By and large, a business looking to avoid scrutiny does not get heavily involved in their community. Home care services such as Shylo are involved with the community at every level. A quick glance at their Facebook page tells clients just how involved they are in the local area and the many local charities they support.
6. Age of Business– How long has the business been operating? A home care business that’s withstood the test of time is likely a much safer bet than a business that’s just opened. Shylo is a great example of proof by longevity. Launched in in 1980 by Betty Brown, an inspired West Vancouver nurse, Shylo has been providing quality home care services in the Lower Mainland for over 35 years.