With the high home prices in Metro Vancouver forcing more people to live in housing with strata councils, it’s becoming increasingly important to understand how to handle these governing bodies.
With over 15 years’ experience in the Vanvouver, Wizard Industries has extensive experience dealing with strata councils when installing their premium screen doors and awnings. Wizard’s Darrell Bedford offered these tips for anyone thinking of installing a screen door, awning or other outdoor accessories to your strata-governed home.
1. Build a relationship with your strata president. He or she will likely play a critical role in getting your home improvements approved.
2. Share as much detail as possible. Maintaining an open and honest communication stream with the council is the key to avoiding surprises when it’s time to install your product.
3. Get the colours and the theme right. Screen doors are typically among the easiest items to get approved by strata governing bodies—providing they match the colour scheme of the building and/or complex. Awnings are more challenging because they effect the look of the building’s exterior.
4. Choose products that don’t diminish security. Not all screens are created equal, for example. Wizard Industries screen doors are made with steel mesh, which helps prevent people from entering the home.
5. Consider the environment. Part of the reasons screen doors are often easy to get approved is because they increase airflow without harmful emissions and potentially reduce the need for air conditioners in your building or complex.
Wizard Industries has a wealth of experience in dealing with strata councils in Vancouver and has seen just about every kind of scenario. But according to Bedford, the most important advice is also the simplest.
“Start by being a good neighbor,” he says. “In our experience, the vast majority of people are actually pretty reasonable.”
For more information about installing home improvement products in buildings governed by strata councils, contact Wizard Screens at 604-299-4426, or visit their website.